Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH)
Die Cutting Foam Applications for NVH
Different foam products are available to minimize NVH in vehicles e.g.
- Polyether foams offer ideal cushioning and sound dampening capabilities
- Polyester foams are compatible with fire-retardants and are more chemical resistant
- Polyurethane foam is widely used in high resiliency flexible foam, and rigid foam insulation panels
Typical NVH solutions
There are three principal means of improving NVH
- reducing the source strength, as in making a noise source quieter with a muffler, or improving the balance of a rotating mechanism
- interrupting the noise or vibration path, with barriers (for noise) or isolators (for vibration)
- absorption of the noise or vibration energy, as for example with foam noise absorbers, or tuned vibration dampers.